Getting the Most for Your Coins
How To Sell Your Coins For The Most Money
We understand that the experience of selling your coins can be an emotional and overwhelming one. That is why Olevian Numismatic Rarities, Pittsburgh’s premier dealer in rare coins and paper money, strives to make the numismatic collecting and investing experience as pleasant and financially rewarding as possible. The following are a few tips for how to receive the best value when selling your coins:
- Do not attempt to clean your coins yourself. Cleaning your coins could drastically affect the patina – the natural layer of toning that a coin acquires over the course of many years. The patina is the metal’s way of protecting itself against the environment, and a simple cleaning can drastically affect the value of a coin as well as permanently altering its appearance.
- Ensure that your coins are appraised by a certified and reputable coin dealer. The single most important aspect of getting an accurate and honest appraisal for your rare coins is the reputation of a coin dealer. ONR is both a well-respected wholesaler and retailer of coins and precious metals, so we understand both sides of the market. It is in fact this perspective, combined with a detailed knowledge and understanding of the rare coin industry, that affords us a distinct advantage over many other companies willing to purchase your collection.
- Organize your items. Having your items separated and properly organized will help to expedite the appraisal process, and allow the dealer to get an accurate idea of the broad scope of your collection.
- Keep your entire collection together as a unit. Many dealers will try to “cherry pick” the better coins in your collection, thus making it harder for you to sell your collection as a whole. This could potentially result in you being unable to sell the leftover coins.
- Sometimes, it is helpful to have “third party certification” for your coins. This is an independent service that authenticates the coin, assigns a condition, and then encapsulates it in a sealed plastic holder. PCGS and NGC are the two largest and most reputable grading services in the United States, and that is why ONR deals exclusively with these organizations. Since there is a cost involved with such service, certification is better left to the more expensive items in your collection. The expert professionals at ONR can help you select those pieces that would benefit most from third party certification and thereby maximize your profit.
We will purchase coins from anywhere in the United States. If you are interested in selling your coins, please call us Toll-Free at 1-844-ONR-COIN or click here to schedule an appraisal. Our experienced professionals look forward to hearing from you.