- Limited mintage of only 12,000 coins.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- PCGS encapsulation protects and guarantees the coin's flawless PR-70 condition.
- Obverse: Features the famous Columnarios - the Pillars of Hercules design representing the joining of the two Old and New World hemispheres with two crowned globes between and the motto "PLVS VLTRA."
- Reverse: Features the head of an Iberian lynx with legends "LINCE IBERICO," beneath and "1,5 EURO," above.
- Minted and guaranteed by the Spanish Royal Mint.
- First ever bullion release from Spain.
The Iberian lynx is a rare wild cat species native to Spain and Portugal. Due to many external threats such as ongoing road expansion and habitat reduction, the lynx is an endangered species and is on the IUCN Red List. The Iberian lynx look very similar to the Eurasian lynx but are much smaller in comparison and have a more heavily spotted fur. However, just like their northern relatives, they are most easily recognized by the brush hairs on their ears and the distinctive whiskers.